April 27, 2003

introduction by son and grandson

A green hard cover AnythingBookâ„¢ decorated with white and gold Celtic knots, is filled halfway with exactly thirty poems composed by John FitzGerald, my father's father. All the poems were handwritten by his wife and widow, Roberta FitzGerald, my father's mother. Twenty-seven were titled, the other three remain partially untitled. The first poem is dated 1936, one of the few dated poems in this book.

Some of this amateur poetry is great. I had good loud laughs from many of them, and an increased understanding of my grandfather aswell. Several of the poems I cannot understand, from references and from handwriting. Names and locations are the most difficult. They are typed here as they were written, with the only changes being corrections in spelling. If you have any corrections or suggestions, I'm happy to hear or read them.

I recall several occasions I met him. I did not know him well. I was thirteen years old when he died. I asked my father, Dr. Leland Joseph FitzGerald, about his father and he wrote:

He was John Francis FitzGerald, son of James Patrick FitzGerald and
Lulu Ryan (both of Batavia, New York). He was born on June 11, 1918 in Geneva, New York and died here in San Diego several days before his 70th birthday in 1989. His dad, James known as Big Jim, was a wealthy businessman who owned several blocks of downtown property in Geneva, a clothing store, bars, fighters/boxers.

John went to Notre Dame University majoring in journalism, but dropped out following his mother's death. He struggled as a salesman, raising four children and seeking a better life in California, Arizona, and parts unknown. He was very proud of his children and impressed upon them at a very young age about the importance of a college education.
Leo and Ryan at Windansea (2000)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home